City of Brent, Alabama
22 First Street, Brent, Alabama 35034
Phone (205) 926-4643 Fax (205) 926-6061
Brent, was built in 1921, was home to John S. and Ola Weldon Ward. Mr. Ward was sheriff of Bibb County in the 1920s and 30s. The home is characterized by wide overhanging eaves, deep arched porches and a spacious living area that includes seven bedrooms and four bathrooms. A music room was built primarily for the Ward’s daughter, Grace, a talented pianist, organist and violinist. Mark and Ranea Hathcock bought the home from the Ward family in 1994.
On May 27, 1973, a category 4 tornado tore through the Brent, Centreville, Montevallo, and Greensboro area, and 90 percent of the city of Brent was destroyed. The tornado demolished more than 12,000 acres of timber and over 500 buildings; 72 people in the area were injured.
The thoughts and fears of that dreadful day will linger with the citizens of Brent for years to come. The City of Brent was founded in 1898 but was forever changed on May 27, 1973. A site next to the current City Hall building was dedicated to the people of Brent whose lives were forever changed by a devastating tornado on May 27, 1973. Five lives were lost: Birdie Mae Doolittle, Tom Green, Bertha Ann Hill, Robert Tildon, and Andrew Mitchell. They say heroes are made not born and this was a night many heroes were made.